FBI, Secret Service still investigating
Security consultant Alan Zajic says the hacking of Las Vegas Sands websites last month was “a rare, rare occurence,” but should serve as a warning that such digital invasion are possible.
The Sands Corp., which operates the Venetian and Palazzo in Las Vegas, the Sands Bethlehem in Pennsylvania, and properties in Macau and Singapore, was forced to shut down its websites for a week after hackers crashed it February 10. The hackers accessed employee information and also stole player information from the Bethlehem casino during the attack.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, an anonymous YouTube video displayed passwords that administrators used for slot machine systems. The FBI and Secret Service are investigating the cyber-crime.
The attack “might make everyone wake up,” said Alan Zajic, a veteran of the casino industry. He applauded the Sands’ decision to provide a year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection for affected customers, saying “That’s a good proactive approach. The last thing a casino wants is to have your information released.”
The Sands has said that no data breaches have yet been reported.