Brin Gibson, chairman of the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB), is planning to step down from his post effective November 30, according to a statement from the governor’s office.
Gibson had already informed outgoing Governor Steve Sisolak that he would decline reappointment once his current term ended, which was supposed to run through the end of January.
Sisolak first appointed Gibson back in November of 2020, after previous chairman Sandra Douglass Morgan vacated the position to pursue a board role with Fidelity.
NGCB member Brittnie Watkins will now temporarily assume the role of chairman for the board’s upcoming December meeting, which will include Hard Rock’s $1.1 billion takeover of the Mirage on the Las Vegas Strip.
Gibson’s departure brings the three-person board down to just two, as Watkins and fellow member Philip Katsaros will now oversee operations until Joe Lombardo, who recently beat out Sisolak in the midterm election, takes office in January and elects a permanent replacement for Gibson.
It should be noted, however, that Katsaros’ term is also set to expire come January.
In a statement, Gibson said that he was “proud of the work we have accomplished, and I know there is so much more ahead for my colleagues.” Sisolak said in his own statement that he feels Watkins is “more than ready” to take on head duties.